Sunday, May 16, 2010

Projectedness

Experiencing beer farts roughly twenty-four hours after ingesting said beverage seems slightly off.

So I've been working on a few projects lately and I wanted to post about them.

I'm constantly at work on the Hekinoe wiki with the ZuluPad thing. At the moment I'm focusing on some Grenaldeen and The Grey Wastes stuff because I have Keroen Skathos on my mind. It all helps to flesh out the world though, so I don't feel it is wasted effort or time. I really love ZuluPad and am glad it finally occurred to me to set up a place to put all the campaign information. Sometimes I look at previous posts on my blogger here and I am stunned by what I've forgotten or changed since the campaign began. The wiki is nice because I can update and retcon it easily and not really worry about it. I should actually upload a new version of the wiki here.


The second project on my mind is putting GURPS into its own wiki. I love my GURPS books and I really love the way the manuals are set up, there's a lot of fluff and crunch in them and the sort of minimalist approach to artwork means that if a book is one hundred and sixty pages long, you get one hundred and sixty pages of content. Not one hundred and sixty minus the cover page, table of contents, artwork for the cover page of each chapter, and all the random borderline anime artwork you find in all the DnD books. My goal here is to develop a resource I can use for quick reference in the middle of a scenario. I'm filling it with Advantages and Disadvantages and Skills and a host of tables and such, plus I'm throwing some character sheet type stuff in there. I have a page dedicated to The Brain In A Jar. He has Telekinesis 40. I click on the blue Telekinesis link and bam, I have all the info on the ability. Whenever we need to do a Quick Contest or figure out Distance and Speed Modifiers, bam, those tables are in there for my reference. At first I was rather skeptical about the value of this thing when you take into consideration how much time I'm putting into it, but I really really like it and as I'm doing all this hyperlinking and copy & pasting and typing I find myself really getting into the nitty gritty details of GURPS and how everything works. It is going to take me forever to get the thing as complete as I want, but I really am enjoying the work and am learning a bit about the system while I am at it. I probably won't link it up here when I finish it, I think this is something that will stay safely ensconced within my laptop.

Third project. I believe that I am going to attempt in earnest to create a sort of campaign book for my The Known World setting. It'll be constructed with GURPS in mind, because that is where I intend to go with The Known World and Hekinoe in general. A document like this will kind of step on the toes of the wiki, and I'll certainly be borrowing material from the wiki, but the campaign book would have more stuff like race and class templates, adventure hooks, technology and weapons specific to The Known World, etc. The problem with this is that I don't precisely know where to start and how to plot it all out. I've been looking at some GUPS campaign books and kind of using them as a guideline and I've toyed with creating campaign books for my various settings before, but I just don't know where to start. I usually play with Microsoft Word, but it seems kind of...clunky I guess for what I'm trying to do. I'm not sure if I'll get anywhere with it, but I think it would be neat. I also think, and this is part of the reason I started the wiki, that the more solid information you have laid down and available for player perusal, the more legitimate it makes your campaign look. The more details you have, the more concrete the whole thing is, makes it feel like this imaginary place in your head has some meat to it I guess.

Man, I missed blogging.

Music: Maiden, Mother & Crone - The Sword

2 comments:

  1. 1) My 'puke muscles' are still hurting me, and it's TUESDAY.

    2) Any assistance I can offer re: a Known World Campaign Book would be done with much vigor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) Heh.

    2) There are some things you can do to contribute. For starters, if you know of a program better set up for this sort of thing than Word, let me know. You can also read my story to its conclusion and give me your thoughts on it and how it interacts with The Known World. From the player's standpoint, you can let me know what you think should be included as far as mechanics and rules for The Known World. As someone interested in the world, you can let me know what sort of stuff you don't know but are curious about and just what fluff in general is necessary to such a project.

    ReplyDelete