Friday, May 14, 2010

Boobs

My mousepad has breasts on it, nay, my mousepad has tits on it, literal anime chick gel tits.

It is the best mousepad I have ever had in my life.

I finished editing my story again and made a Facebook post about it and emailed it to several individuals that have on multiple occasions vowed that they will in fact read it. I then promptly began rereading it and changed several lines of text in the prologue and first little bit of chapter one. I paused after a few minutes of this and began really reading the story again.

That shit is utterly incomprehensible.

Heather has often said it is hard to read what I write because I write a lot of shit and don't hand hold the reader by explaining what every word means. I never really understood what she meant until I was rereading the first few pages last night. In the prologue you're bombarded with three proper names and a few oddly named countries and you have no means of understanding their context or import until you get into the meat of the book. The first chunk of chapter one is like getting your brain molested by my ZuluPad wiki in under a second.

For the record, my wiki has like three dicks and a tongue, so when I say molested, it is pretty serious business.

You're bombarded with names like lastborn, primordial, Braldenon, and Utenel and you have no idea what any of it means until it all gets explained to you. Eventually you find that the Utenel are Nel of winter and storms and that the primordials of each court were the first creatures created by the Gifts of Merobel and Aubernach and that they resemble beasts. You find out that the lastborn are the final race of each court and that they resemble the creator of the court more than the other races. You find out that the mountain-kin are living stone or metal. Etc, etc, etc. It all gets explained eventually. You even find out exactly what Calindrel is, even if it is only one line of text. I'm just not sure if those eventual explanations are enough for the reader, or even adequate for what the reader desires to know.

I guess I'm ok with that, I don't mind that it is a little hard to keep everything straight, at one time I thought I was going to try and sell the book. I don't really intend on doing that, I just wanted to tell a story about a dude named Keroen Skathos. The story appeals to me, the characters and world appeal to me, the ending appeals to me. I like the story, fuck everyone else's opinion. If my friends like it and have thoughts and opinions on it or come up with better ways to say things, I'll more than happily listen and implement their changes. I'm ok with the story as it is, I understand it and get it and it is a nice chronicle of a period of time in the life of Keroen Skathos that has a lot of effects on Hekinoe that I am very interested in exploring.

The long and short of it is that I like The Last Blade, even if that shouldn't really be the title anymore. The Feronel used to be called The Court of Blades in previous version, and Keroen Skathos was kind of the last one. I guess the title would still sort of be applicable to the story, but I don't think it would apply in a way that is really noticeable, possibly because it occurred to me just now. Heh.

Those are some thoughts. Joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment