Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Concerns

New ZuluPad Document:http://www.mediafire.com/?5jmomjwmymm

It has been a bit since I've last updated so I figured I should mosey back on in here and type some stuff out.

To be brief: I have some concerns about last time. The PCs are blackmailing the head of a terrorist cell bent on bringing revolution to his hometown. He is not a god or a king, more on par with a mob boss. I feel like they're in over their heads and I don't know how to make that apparent without feeling like I'm picking on them. They, Martel in particular, seem to feel like those armbands make them untouchable.

The problem (as I explained it to Eric last night) is that they're walking around with an armband on their person and several hidden away on their various properties. Now, they can walk up to a reaver and say "Hey, I found these in a bank." and seal the fate of the city and Nakmander himself. Or, they could be walking around and get into a tussle with some folks in a bar and a reaver sees them with their armband. Or they try to cross into a secure area of the city and get searched. Or they enter the domain of a city official and get searched, their weapons confiscated, and their armband discovered. Or Nakmander says, "Hey Cenn, I've got some dudes that just robbed me and they've got some reaver armbands. I don't know where they got them but I thought I might let you know."

I don't know. I feel like some of them think they have Nakmander and the rebellion by the short hairs and it seems more like a Cold War-esque mutually assured destruction situation. Without evidence of who exactly killed the reavers (or if they are even actually dead) the possessor of such items has only their word that the items don't belong to them. It comes down to a situation of Nak's word against theirs, and Nakmander is better at Bluff and Diplomacy than them I think.

I dunno. This is a touchy issue because I want to reward the players for sticking to their guns and role-playing a bit. I also want to make it difficult for them because it is a difficult situation. The armbands aren't just a big red WIN button and I don't want them to feel like they run shit in Hell and whatnot. I want them to feel like they stand upon the edge of a knife and if they stray but a little, they're going to get fucked.

I guess I just need to find a way to keep them feeling empowered, but also punish blatantly foolish arrogance. Hopefully Eric and Jeremy can keep them civil, perhaps they'll share the events and timeline of my The One-Eyed Man story with the group. We shall see.


No comments:

Post a Comment