Thursday, March 11, 2010

AJLG

Tony and were talking back in the day (and by that I mean this past Wednesday) about some things I mentioned in my previous post, just basic chit chat about how to get players interested in the world of the campaign setting and whatnot. He had an idea that never occurred to me and I really like it.

If I remember correctly the gist of it is that you (the GM) create backgrounds for everyone, rather than let them willy nilly create whatever they want. Or at the very least you create the portion of their background that involves the why and when of their involvement in the campaign. This way you can rely on yourself, rather than a ragtag collection of heathens, to figure out why the group is a group and why they're saving the world or burning it to a cinder or whatever.

I think I might try this in my next campaign. The GURPS one-shot adventure is going to be just that, a one-shot, so I don't intend on doing too much background work for the characters other than giving them names and allowing the players to pick which one they want to play.

I might talk to everyone when the time approaches to start a new campaign, which could be quite a long time from now as it stands with our once every two months gaming schedule. I guess I'll just bring the idea up at the appropriate time and see what everyone has to say.

Music: Clint Eastwood - Gorillaz

No comments:

Post a Comment