Tuesday, May 19, 2009

This Past Weekend (DnD Style) And Today

Ok, this could have been heaped in with the other post, but I'm kind of shooting for a separation of hobbies as far as posting goes. That way, if you are into DnD with me but have no interest in 40k (like Jeremy, which is why I didn't invite him down to Shawn's for the weekend, we spent a good chunk of the Saturday in hobby stores and talking about 40k) you can skip the 40k posts or writing posts or whatever and get to the stuff you care about. So, we talked DnD this weekend as well, mostly as it relates to Shawn and his characters in mine and Eric's campaign. He decided he is going to be a Bugbear Ranger in my campaign, who wields two massive maces and a cannon. I think this is awesome because no one has ever played a Bugbear in anything I've been a part of. Plus, a cannon. I mean, now I have to write up rules for cannons (off the top of my head, High Critical, Load Standard [feat to reduce to Load Move], range similar to a rifle, 2d6? 2d8? Can double as club or mace?) but hell, they're cannons and cannons are awesome. Hmm, was it a cannon or a mini-trebuchet style grenade launcher we were talking about? I can't remember which. Oh well. Shawn's choice also forces me to flesh out the goblinoids of the Fell Peaks a bit more. Once the Bugbears were the rulers of the goblin tribes, with Goblins as their advisers, and the Hobgoblins as their men-at-arms or whatever you want to call them. Then the Fell Humans wandered into town and everything changed. They literally burned the kingdoms of the goblin clans to the ground, erased their entire history, and then enslaved them (its true, there's even a feat that gives them a bonus when they try to do that with skills like Intimidate or Insight). Too much has changed for the Bugbears though, they couldn't cope psychologically with such a reverse of position and fortune and now their race has this weird malaise/ennui going on and is dying out. They're still big and deadly and whatnot, they just don't care anymore. They're tired. So that is a bit about Bugbears that will kind of enter into the finishing touches of the document on them I started and then put aside because no one expressed any interest in any of the goblin races.

If my math is correct (and it is highly questionable of late) there are 90+ police officers per square mile in New York City. Does that seem right? ...Apparently it is over a 100 per square mile. I now understand why Kusseth is so screwed up with its 2 wardens per square mile. I may need to alter the density of wardens in Kusseth.

It continues, heh. I finished my second scenario today and started in on my third. The sandbox idea is kind of fun. I'd really like to do it on a larger scale, like turn Kusseth City (or a six district block of it) into just a playground for the PCs. It gets kind of fun to just pile shit into a text document. I'm interested to see how the group goes about things without any direction or purpose. The goal of the scenario is to "lie low" and avoid getting put back in prison so its not like they have to go to Point A, find X amounts of monsters, make them bleed Y amount of hit points, find object B, and return to the quest giver. Oh, there's stuff like that in the scenario, they just have to find it. I actually had to pull myself away from it and force myself to start on the third one. My second scenario has a word count one hundred or so words short of my Traith Harris story. That is over 20,000 words for a DnD scenario and I had to force myself to stop. Don't get me wrong, a lot of it is notes to myself and descriptions and stuff like "if A happens B happens, or D happens if A and C happen." There's a lot of that kind of stuff. I have an almost obsessive amount of preparation put into this scenario. But that is how I roll. I don't have the ability to think on my feet when things go off the rail and into uncharted territory and I hate to say stuff like "No you cannot go left here." so I have to be as prepared as possible. I get a certain kick out of preparing for every conceivable avenue the players could take, and predicting their actions based on past experience, but it is still a lot of work.

I have some fun stuff planned for the third scenario and I'm pretty optimistic about how it will turn out. I actually think I'm pulling something I've never pulled on the guys before. Its not particularly tricksie but it is something of a twist on something they've very likely come to expect and possibly take for granted. I've put in a way for Shawn to enter the party in a reasonably believable fashion without just randomly appearing as well, not sure why I bothered with that, as no one will particularly care, but I did it.

Steampunk Device of the Post: Cryotic Heat Retardent Exhaust System. It's cold.

Also, because I haven't used it in conversation today: robust.

Music: On It - Mindless Self Indulgence

No comments:

Post a Comment