Thursday, May 28, 2009

A Good Day

Such a thing does not necessarily necessitate the crushing of foes, hearing the lamentation of their women, or the driving of them before oneself.

Eric and I were talking today and he was kind of venting about a player we have who he is having an issue with in his campaign. Eric's intent is that all priestly types (Clerics and Paladins specifically, but likely Invokers and Avengers as well) be Good Guys and act as Beacons of Hope and Kindness. Not blundering buffoons bent on setting off traps and breaking items that could be pocketed. (Just a note, my dude is made of metal and has even more metal welded to his body for the purposes of armor, and he did less blundering than John's Cleric named John. Not really a criticism, I just like to say my dude is metal...he is also robust due to how much metal he is made of.) Anyway, he was basically just going to tell us that Cleric and Pallies = Good and John better shape up. My suggestion was that since his world had achieved a Golden Age of Peace and Prosperity before it was struck by meteors, he should say that part of the reason for the aforementioned Age was that the good gods had defeated the evil ones and the primordials, thus there are no evil or wishy washy aligned deities to pray to, so by definition there are only Good Guy Clerics. Now John has to comply, and there is solid logic behind that, not just an arbitrary "Do it and shut up." Plus, this opens up the idea of evil, lurking, cultists of the vanquished primordials and deities in the world for us to do our own vanquishing on. Anyway, I came up with that whole bit quite literally in less time than it takes to type it and I kind of impressed myself with it and told Eric that it is times like this that remind me that I am indeed a bit skilled at DMing and world building and whatnot and can usually produce halfway decent product. He agreed. Normally I kind of choke on my own fear and insecurity that I'm just shovelling horseshit and no one is entertained and I kind of revert to half-assing it and not caring. It was nice to feel a warm glowy moment and bask in the meager success of my meager skills, and it was fun to help Eric stick it to John a bit.

I think I've kind of decided my warforged fighter (Junkpile) will be an agent of chaos. He's not intentionally evil or anything, but he is mostly concerned with self-repair, money, and staving off ennui. He's also curious. He doesn't understand "meatbags" (thus the intentionally low Charisma, and if you place the reference and you get an XP) and if he sees something interesting he is going to investigate. Which is the whole reason we got the "go to the mine" quest anyways. He didn't want to help the guy getting the shit beat out of him, he assumed the guy earned it, but was curious as to why five dudes would forcibly drag another man out of a drinking hole in broad daylight and impart violent kinetic force upon his body. He also eats gems.

Steampunk Device of Post: Short-Range Hard Illuminator. Its a flashbang grenade.
Music: Hatredcopter - Dethklok

No comments:

Post a Comment