Tuesday, May 19, 2009

This Past Weekend (40k Style)

Went to visit Shawn in Grand Rapids with Eric this weekend. We went to not one, but two hobby stores. Had quite a bit of fun too. I couldn't find a Techmarine like I had wanted though, except with servitors and I have no need of servitors because my intent is to cannibalize the Techmarine and make my own warsmith for my Iron Warriors. GW makes a "warsmith" model with a bunch of bionics and a servo-arm, but I want something a bit more top shelf than that for my warsmith. I also saw some already painted Iron Warriors on display and for sale in one of the hobby stores. Pretty much looked like mine, except that they didn't have any hazard stripes and the gold detail work was a bit sloppy and caked on. In retrospect I should have bought them if they were decently priced, they had a bunch Iron Hands bionics added on to them and that box set is 45 bucks and I'll only need like half the bits. Hmm, actually that might not be a totally bad idea, I am after all fielding a loyalist marine army as well. Plus, I am getting sick of the Assault on Black Reach marines. They are easy to put together and there are some helm variants never before seen and it is glorious to not have to fuck with bolters and arms, but they can look like shit. I actually bought a devastator box from the second store we checked out because I need a missile launcher for my Lamenters squad. I'm going to try fielding the Codex-standard Flamer/Missile Launcher combo for a while to see if it works alright. Unfortunately the missile launcher snap together marine from Black Reach looks like shit. So I bought devastators to get a kneeling missile launcher marine, and some devastators because I intend on fielding at least one squad of the heavy weapons guys with my Lamenters. Maybe two. It all depends on how Eric and Shawn's armies turn out. They're Tau and have railguns, railguns with their Strength 10, AP 1, and 72 inch range. That's six feet and part of why I am doing a drop pod army. Drop pods are awesome and I love the whole concept of hurtling down through the atmosphere under fire, explosively exiting your pod and unleashing hell. In game terms, they offer cover and an additional gun. With the shooty nature of Tau I figure the point cost of pods is worth it because to a certain extent it allows me to control where my marines start out and if I can get it right I can move from cover to cover which will greatly, and negatively, affect the deadliness of the Tau. Obviously, I am a rookie and this could all go horrifically wrong (which is why I will be using styrofoam cups as my drop pods until I get the hang of them and decide I can wield this army effectively). I might throw in more devs than the one squad because Shawn tends to imply that he'll be all meched up at some point and some lascannons will put a damper on his hammerheads and pirahnas and whatnot. The same goes for Eric. A big 1.5k point battle per person might be fun with Tony and I fighting Eric and Shawn.
Music: War Eagle - Early Man

No comments:

Post a Comment