Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Confused

You ever listen to 2112 by Rush? Its one of my favorite Rush songs. A man in the far flung future finds a guitar and falls in love with the music it produces while learning to play it. He brings it to the rulers of the galaxy/universe (the Priests of the Temple of Syrinx) who determine what art and music is allowed to exist. They scorn the guitar as a stupid relic of "the Elder Race of Man" and tell him the guitar will not be allowed to exist. So he flees the priests and finds his way to a cave and has a dream of beauty and wonder and upon waking he kills himself because he cannot bear to exist in a universe that denies the beauty of the music wrung from the strings of a guitar and wishes to move onto the world in his dreams.

At least I think that is what it is about, regardless: Good fuck song.

Anyway, there is a line in the song about the Elder Race of Man. This line inspired me to write, and always makes me think of, a story I was working on a long time ago called The Elder War. I always think I should go back to that one because it ties a bunch of random elements from some of my other stories together so that as a whole they make sense. I can just never really get into writing it. I like it, and it is actually something of a twist on the first story I ever wrote. A POS called Cernunnos' Story that was a godawful story and a worse DnD campaign, or maybe vice versa. If you're reading this and remember the time where it was like ten players and two DMs and we were all in my parent's garage and Jason Julian was all like "Kinouis the Vengeful does not care for this!" and slammed his fist into the table, it was set in that campaign world. Kardia if I remember correctly. Anyway, Cernunnos' Story was truly atrocious, every name and character in it was named after and ripped off of something I had read and liked at one time. There was a lightning god named Raiden, a sorcerer named Thorn Drumheller (if you've read the follow up books to Willow), a city named Rome, magic fields called mythals (if you know anything about Forgotten Realms elves), and so on and so forth in that vein for some time. I tried to rewrite the story later and quit because I realized I was copying Robert Jordan's magic system. Anyway, the Elder War was in part a spiritual re-telling of Cernunnos' Story (and the main character of the Elder War was one Kern Yew'nos, har har).

Hmm. I seem to have lost track of the point of this particular post, but it is a quarter to four in the morning so I think that is forgivible.

Anyway. I think I'm going to start posting my Norse Story up to this site. I'm not saying it was super awesome, but I had fun writing it and I think taking another crack at it might be a hoot. Originally it was written as a Norse story but I was working on my current DnD campaign when I was working on it and I decided a main character from it migrated to the continent it the campaign was taking place on so I've been kind of wanting to go back and violently retcon it so it sits better with my campaign world and doesn't have so many overtly Earth/Norse references and this might be an opportunity to do so.

To sleep, and dreams of the Dolphinian-Sharkasian War! In this episode Porposian mercenaries go rogue and Admirals Ack and Barr must use all the tools at their disposal to track the mercenaries through the rings of Saturn and bring them to task before they can provide the Sharkasians with information regarding the secret moonbase on Titan.

Music: 2112 - Rush

2 comments:

  1. 1) "regardless: Good fuck song." does this indicate that it is a good song, or a good song to fuck to?

    2: Re: Dolphinian-Sharkasian War

    Brilliant! Those Sharkasians are tricky fellows. If they discover the Moon Base, all is lost!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say things like "good fuck song" and "big fuck knife" because of too much exposure to Lewis Black. Many of his jokes are long strings of "fuck" and variations of the word and I kind of like when he just randomly inserts it into phrases and such. So I started doing it too. Tony does it sometimes as well.

    ReplyDelete