Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Whoa!

I have gazed into the abyss, and it has gazed into me.

I have been obsessed with podcasts of late. I like a lot of crap, so I like to listen to a variety of them. My favorites at the moment are the Giantbombcast, This American Life, and RPPR's The New World Campaign sessions. Oh! My Brother, My Brother, and Me is just about the most hilarious thing I have ever heard, so it is grand as well.

Anyway, I am frantic for more actual play podcasts, so I've been looking around on the intertubes for some. I guess I like them because it lets me see how other people game and GM and whatnot. It helps me to know that other GMs are out there tackling the same problems I am. It warms my heart to know that there are others out there goofing off and enjoying the game.

I recently found a new one and I listened to the first episode. I have seen what role-playing is finally. The first session of the podcast was this three hour long siege/skill challenge type thing where the party was leading three hundred soldiers in an assault on an ancient temple of evil stuff.

It was long and drawn out and I even skipped a few spots because they dragged on, but damn, I liked it. It was role-playing. I finally got to listen to people role-playing and see what it was. It wasn't something crude like costumes or voices or handouts. It was just people talking about their characters. Not just what they were doing, but what they were thinking and feeling. Listening to that podcast drove something home for me.

I want to game like that.

Look, I'll admit it. I am attached to Spineplate. If he broke and was brought low by the enemies of The Robust Five (More of Less), it would upset me. On a side note, I love the fact that that is the unofficial name of the group. It makes me happy inside. Spineplate's death would (will?) make me sad. I am attached to him, I've written about him and spoken of him to others and clarified his background to the point where he is "real" to me. His death = sadness for me.

Listening to that podcast, I got the sense that those folks cared about their characters. I don't quite know where I am going here, but someday, I think I would like us to role play.


Edit After The Fact: I am aware that some people are trying, and I wholeheartedly applaud and support their efforts. What I mean to say is that I would like it if we as an entire group played like that, not just a few individuals that probably feel a bit self conscious being the only ones trying. Not that I am upset with those that don't. I made it clear that backgrounds and role-playing were optional, but beneficial, when we started this particular campaign and I am not taking that back. As long as we're having fun, I am mostly ok with the way we do it. The fun is the important part.

No comments:

Post a Comment