Friday, August 7, 2009

The Campaign That Will Never Be

So, I made myself via the GURPSystem because of something I briefly said to Jeremy earlier today when he, Eric, and I were hanging out. I've given myself 50 (plus up to 25 more from disadvantages) points as GURPS Lite listed as ordinary folks. I chose the top end of the "ordinary folks" spectrum because its a game and there must be some sensationalism/fanciness to a mundane proto-hero.

Core Stuff
Clint Ruediger
26
5'8" 190 lbs.

29 [44/-15]
ST: 11 HP: 11
DX: 10 Will: 10
IQ: 10 Per: 10
HT: 11 FP: 11

Reasoning: Tens are average, I gave myself an eleven in Strength because I have been working out of late, and I gave myself an eleven in Health because I rarely get sick and when I do, I can usually push through and overcome it fairly quickly. I left Dexterity and Intelligence at ten because I am pretty average on those fronts, and could probably stand to lose some points in Dexterity because I have at times just randomly lost my balance and fallen over. I didn't put any information in for Basic Move, Speed, Lift, etc because all of it is based off the core stats and I've explained my views on those. As far as looks, wealth, etc I consider myself average so I didn't include explanations of point totals for that either.

Advantages
Hard To Subdue 2 [4]
Less Sleep 2 [4]
No Hangover [1]
Unfazeable [15]

Reasoning: I've given myself Hard To Subdue (at max for "average" folks) only because I cracked my skull extremely hard (there was blood) against the corner of an ambulance cabinet door yesterday and only barely managed to remain conscious and not fall out of the ambulance. I've given myself Less Sleep because I regularly get by on five to seven hours of sleep and rarely get a full eight. I've thrown in Unfazeable because I find myself going "Of course that would happen..." when something unexpected or surprising happens at work or at home and I adapt to the situation and move on. No Hangover is in there because I've only ever once in my life had a hangover and I still believe the nausea was the result of a questionable McDonald's breakfast and not excessive drinking. My mom disagrees.

Disadvantages
Bad Sight (Farsighted, Mitigator: Glasses): -15

Reasoning: I've given myself Bad Sight for obvious reasons.

Ok, so that is vaguely reminiscent of me. Now it is time to make it vaguely reminiscent of me if I were a young farmer in a Cinematic Adventure about to lose my family and home to the Evil-Fuck-Villain and become Hot Shit on my Epic Quest to take VENGEANCE (VENGEANCE is such an awesome word that it deserves all caps).

Core Stuff
Rutger
26
5'8" 190 lbs.

50 [75/-25]
ST: 11 HP: 11
DX: 10 Will: 10
IQ: 10 Per: 10
HT: 11 FP: 11

Reasoning:

Advantages
Hard To Subdue 2 [4]
Less Sleep 2 [4]
No Hangover [1]
Claws (Blunt) [3]
Trained By A Master [30]

Reasoning: Despite being fresh meat I have given this guy Trained By A Master. I'm not too sure on the specifics, but I think I have an idea of Rutger here hearing some noises down an alley. These noises are a dying master, and being a pragmatic sort Rutger decides to rob the fellow. Said fellow is no normal man and is not quite dead enough to let himself be robbed with impunity and surprises Rutger, Rutger stabs or otherwise seals the master's fate. Here is where things get wonky. Master is not a good and kind master, master is fleeing and has just had his ass kicked by other masters, master is the last of his obviously Evil and Machiavellian School of Masters Dedicated To That Sort of Thing. The master decides that the only way his lineage can live on is through this little shit that finished him off for a few coins, so he transfers his power (and bits and pieces of himself) to this Little Shit. The Claws (Blunt) along with some skills and techniques listed below simulate the first hazy recollections of the master's knowledge, the Claws are actually the result of skin toughening techniques that Rutger has begun to practice that have made his fingers more weapon-like. I removed Unfazeable because I wanted to free up some points for Trained By A Master.

Disadvantages
Struggling: [-10]
Nightmares: [-5]
Bad Temper [-10]

Reasoning: Nightmares are parts of the master's gifts to Rutger, when he sleeps he constantly relives the murderous and unethical deeds of the master, sometimes he can shrug them off and ignore them, other times they are too intense. I removed the Farsightedness because it is unnecessarily true to the real me, this is a game after all (If I had more points I would opt to whittle away at the disadvantage through adventuring, rather than pull it now, and chalk it up to the mystic body control techniques that Rutger begins to recall). Bad Temper represents the latent pieces of the master's evil personality creeping into Rutger and forcing him to work at controlling himself. Struggling is there to indicate that he is a poor dumb sod with little money and that is what led him to get all messed up in the brain by an evil master of martial arts.

Perks
Style Familiarity (Pankration) [1]

Reasoning: I've read a little bit about Pankration in the past and its kind of neat, like most martial arts are, and its not all jumpy flippy I'm a fucking monkey. It seems to be more about brutal wrestling moves than anything else. They get in close, lock up an arm in a hold, then tear it the fuck off.

Styles
Pankration (10 points in style)

Skills
Games (Pankration) IQ/Easy: 10 [1]
Judo DX/Hard: 8 [1]
Karate DX/Hard: 8 [1]
Wrestling DX/Average: 9 [1]
Urban Survival Per/Average: 10 [2]

Techniques
Hammer Fist (Karate -1/Average): 8 [1]
Kicking (Karate -2/Hard): 7 [2]
Stamp Kick (Karate -2/Hard): 7 [2]
Knee Strike (Karate -1/Average): 8 [1]

Style Perks
Iron Hands (DR 1, Partial, Hands, Tough Skin) [1]

Reasoning: Most of the above is obviously related to the Pankration thing. As Rutger adventures he'll gain more weird martial arts crap as he "remembers" what the master once knew, stuff like Pressure Points, Meditaion, other techniques, more stats and advantages to simulate the toughness of his body, etc, etc. Urban Survival is the one skill he really had in the first place prior to his encounter and I've left it in place. If the option is available, I would slowly degrade it as he adventures out of cities and redistribute the points into other skills he picks up along the way.

So, there is a basic stripped down GURPS version of me and a cinematic about-to-start-an -adventure me. I like creating characters in GURPS, it is a lot more involved and thought provoking than DnD. The Advantage/Disadvantage balance forces you to think about the character a bit and possibly get some ideas on role-playing. Fun stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment