Sunday, August 2, 2009

Another One (Because I Am A Verbose Motherfucker, In Terms of Text)

So, I like d20 Modern and its various additions. I think it is a solid system that works fairly well. Except for the Wealth system, which is kind of neat at first, but rather annoying the more you get into it. Instead of finding a safe full of six grand and seven grand worth of uncut cocaine, you find +2 to each of your Wealth scores. LAME. Tony went to the effort of converting everything in the core d20 Modern book into actually dollars. EVERYTHING. I don't think anyone thanked him. I have trouble understanding why people don't get why he is burnt out on gaming.

I think if the gaming group does break down and nobody can ever game I might try to run d20 Modern with just John (because he will always and forever game), Jeremy, and Eric. I think it has potential, besides, how often in action or adventure movies do you see a party of eight dudes doing stuff? John McClane fucked shit up across four feature length films all by his lonesome. That's what d20 Modern is supposed to be, a little bit more focus on the action and intensity. This is not to say it was designed to be a "go kill shit" type deal, its just supposed to be explosive and dynamic.

I don't know precisely how it would work, but I would really like to try out a fantasy setting with the d20 Modern rules. Not Urban Arcana, just d20 Modern/Past and some elements of Apocalypse with Future/Future Tech thrown in to represent steampunk devices. Obviously I'm speaking of my The Known World campaign. I should come up with name for the planet so I can call it that. I think it started at as the Torem Campaign, but Torem is like Latin or some shit for balance and the kernel of an idea that I was going on there is now gone and the setting has no relation to the initial intent behind that name. Then I called it Tomre, because why the fuck not? Now all the info for this world sits in a folder in my 4th Edition Campaigns folder called "What The Fuck?" and the campaign beneath it is known as "Why The Fuck Not?" I guess I'm just funny.

I feel a change coming to DnD. 4th Edition was supposed to be an agent of this change, a revitalization of our hobby and place to start off fresh as a group of noobs. To a certain extent this has been achieved and let me say one more time that I really like 4th Edition, but I feel that 4th Edition just does not cut it for my campaign. Its too imperfect. I wonder if perhaps now is the time to switch to something setting neutral like Iron Heroes or True 20 Roleplaying. Something familiar, but with a twist. Or even if we take something that has a setting, like d20 Deadlands, its close enough to DnD and could be slightly modified to fit into my campaign world.

Or is now the time where we REALLY change things up and switch to something like GURPS. 4th Edition sourcebooks have names like Open Grave and Arcane Power and Martial Power and Forgotten Realms Player's Guide. GURPS has sourcebooks with names like Steampunk and Screampunk and Biotech and High-Tech. Its all skill based and all generic and compatible as well.

Or Shadowrun, although that is incompatible with my current campaign. I'm not going to lie, Shadowrun gives me a raging hardon that you could cut glass with.

I guess I need to say it again: Fuck. This hurts my brain.

Music: Liar - Henry Rollins Band

No comments:

Post a Comment