Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Pathfindery Stuff

So, Jeremy and I played a game of Pathfinder Sunday evening. We were supposed to do it Friday night, but I had had a long shift at work on way too little sleep and then not gotten enough sleep when I got out Friday morning. I was dead on my feet, but we stumbled through the book enough to get Jeremy a reasonable looking D'alton to play on Sunday. I've had Spineplate ready to go for a bit, so he was done and ready for use and we could focus on D'alton.

The scenario was like seven or eight pages of text in Word, but Jeremy and I managed to finish it in roughly two and a half hours. I mean, it was mostly talky talk and a few skill checks, and it only had one fight so there wasn't a lot of lengthy involved stuff in it. Anyway, it went pretty well, we did some story stuff that I've wanted to do and I was able to toy around with some role-playing. It all actually worked out pretty well and Spineplate and D'alton were able to get some things organized the way they wanted to, rather than the way the rest of the group decided to do things.

Jeremy and I remained primarily in character for the entire two hours, except when I was explaining the rules or how to do something. Its wasn't heavy duty role-playing, but we did remain in character and didn't go off into the distant reaches of Lost talk.

All in all it was a pretty productive event. Jeremy and I have a solid understanding of Pathfinder, which is no surprise because we've played 3.5 Edition and 4th Edition isn't terribly different. I'm also pretty confident that we get character creation as well. I didn't anticipate having any problems or needing to peer at the books for hours trying to find rules. I guess it boils down to the fact that I really know 3.5 Edition in a way that I don't quite know 4th Edition. Or maybe I know both of them, which makes sense because I've read all the appropriate game material from the rulebooks.

After all was said and done, we had a good time. We also realized that we're grown ups because nowadays, black dice with red numbers aren't awesome and edgy, they're just a fucking pain in the ass to read.

Fred and Eric were sad that we tried out Pathfinder without them, but worry not my friends, I plan on running another Pathfinder test scenario for everyone to try out. I look forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment