Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Band-Aid Removal...

...One quick motion, RIGHT OFF!

For the record, a bandage is what you use to secure a dressing, a dressing is what you actually place on the wound to stop bleeding and keep it covered. I think.

So. I was looking at my story the other night at work, the prologue in particular. Wait, let me say something first. At my current job I don't get a huge amount of downtime. I get a half hour lunch, which is usually a "working" lunch because people always need something from me when I pull out my Fallout 3 lunchbox and my sandwich, and I get two fifteen minute breaks. I can usually squeeze a few five minute take-a-breather-and-get-some-water-or-go-to-the-bathroom type things in there as well, because, you know, humans pee. Last night I used my lunch to work on studying for my test Friday, but I kind of reached study overload for the day and had to set my books down. For my breaks I took my story out and took a hard look at the first chapter and prologue. The prologue is actually newer than the first chapter, but it is still quite a bit older than the tail end of the story. Anyway, I was looking at it and I got to thinking, "Could I write this better?" So I tried and I think I did.

The prologue is now twice as long, but its a little bit better I think. Good deal. I also found that I could not stop writing once I started and roughly twelve hundred words later I decided that I should end my break and get back to work instead of writing an alternate chapter one to my story. Spoiler: Keroen Skathos still wakes up.

No comments:

Post a Comment