Wednesday, December 30, 2009

An Excerpt

So, the last four posts I've typed out have never been posted. This is mostly because I sit down to type when I'm irritated and its just ranty bullshit, and I don't want this place to be a ranty bullshit laden place. There is something that I typed that I've decided is the only really relevant part of the unposted posts:

"I'm not mad about Dungeons and Dragons. I feel that Dungeons and Dragons is going extremely well and I am having a lot of fun with everyone and hope everyone is having fun as well. I love our group and the campaign and have nothing but good feelings about Dungoens and Dragons.

The way I feel about this current campaign compared to previous ones is just shocking. I am filled with joy and optimism when I think about Dungeons and Dragons lately. Looking back on my past as a DM, I was lazy, rude, arrogant, and a host of other annoying vices. I felt like noboby cared, nobody wanted to play, so I felt a lot of times that I should punish them by not caring either. So after a certain point gaming sucked, and every time we rebooted the hobby this would happen.

A lot of that is on me and I believe that is why gaming is going so well lately, I finally got that attitude adjustment my mom always said I needed. I'm trying to be a good DM. I find myself getting lazy or doing stupid things and I actively work against my vices and try to change myself for the better. I'm researching DMing and reading tips and just generally trying to be a better guy. I also feel the player's are better too. It really feels like everyone cares about my little world, especially Jeremy and Eric and I cannot express how good their interest makes me feel. John knows rules fairly well, looks them up himself, pre-rolls dice, and is always the first to relpy to any goofy email I send out. Jeff is also doing really well for never having played any iteration of Dungeons and Dragons before, and Martel is right up there with him. They're both inqusitive and interested in the game and whats going on. Fred occupies the niche of the verbose derailer that helps keep sessions from growing stale while we're in a calmer/quieter/boring moment of the scenarios, he also helps keep me on my toes. Kudos to everyone, you all get a prize on the sixteenth, except me, my prize is knowing how the campaign ends."

Dear self, keep focused and don't let yourself get irritated by the little bits of stupid bullshit and turn them into what they aren't. They only become a big deal if you get wrapped up in them and lose sight of the important thing, gaming and your friends are fun and cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment