Friday, November 27, 2009

It's A Twist!

Just pretend the title of this post is whatever you feel is appropriate.

A few days ago I wrote something about the Bible of the Sharkosian-Dolphinian war being lodged in my brain. It was. It has since vanished, more writing has taken its place though. What I'm physically writing is the upcoming DnD scenario that occurs as the party journeys south to Hell, I'm also picking back up the alterations I'm making to my finished story. The alterations are a lot more time consuming and annoying that I'd really like to admit, but they need to be done. I just fear that I'll never again be able to read and enjoy this story once its finally finished and done, which would bum me out. I dunno, this is the first story I really dedicated a lot of energy to, and I hate to think I've grown bored or annoyed with it from having read and re-read and re-written so much of it. Its frustrating because I like Keroen, I like where he goes and what he becomes. Its hard to keep focused when rewriting his story is so hard for me to do and writing DnD is a thousand times easier. Even Inconsistencies is easier to write, I can bang out a thousand and a half words of Inconsistencies in like twenty or thirty minutes (to be fair, it shows) and that's normally how I write it Sunday night or Monday morning.

Inconsistencies is going south for me though. Not south as in, the South, but south as in I want to stop writing it. I hadn't originally intended to write it for this long. I thought of it as a one shot thing, but then Jeremy wanted more and said he'd pay for such, so I wrote more. It will be ending soon though, so yeah. If you still read it, sorry. I thought I could drag it out by writing about the Evil Southern Twins, but no one seemed particularly interested in them and like I said, I'm getting sick of writing about the whole world.

To heap another layer of honesty onto the developing pile here: I'm getting sick of the GURPS Reich-5-esque world. Ten years ago when we all got together at Jeremy's and had Dan on speaker phone and we were all in awe of the system and the intriguing implications of the setting, I was dedicated and into it and ready to roll some fucking six sided dice. Now I have a stable of ten viable characters to play, twenty thousands words of background story, books, and a solid understanding of the system and the world, and all I can think is "Nazis. Meh. Lets do Planescape." I don't even want to play the Brick or the Telekinetic anymore, and the Robot bores me with his six (on average) or more 6d p+ damage attacks each second of combat.

Plus, I have the suspicion Dan's initial interest in GURPSing shit up has waned. Or maybe I'm projecting, which is always a possibility.

This is not to say that I wouldn't play GURPS and have no desire to do the Reich-5ish setting. I made the setting, even if Eric puts his own twist on it, my story is going to color everyone's perception of it and I wouldn't have wasted time writing about something if I didn't like it. I like the setting, and I like GURPS a lot more and still want to see it in action, but I'm just not super psyched about it (the setting) anymore.

To bounce back over to writing. Like I said, the Sharkosian-Dolphinian thing fell away before I could get it to paper, which means it will roll around in there behind the scenes for a while before it pops up again. I'll get it out eventually, its one of those silly things I write to goof around, kind of like Inconsistencies.

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm going to need to restart the Traith story, rather than continue with what's already there. Some of what I've written can be used, but the parts that frame it need to be redone. This is unfortunate, but I think if I have a fresh start to work with I'll be able to do better with the story than my current effort. In the time since I last worked on it I've been able to hash out a clearer picture of the world, Kusseth, and the wardens in general and that can only aid in the development of Traith's story.

To bounce back to what I was rambling about with GURPS. I think the problem was that I got all revved up and ready to go like I do, and then we didn't go anywhere. We said it would be a while, but I bought my books two months ago and looking at the GURPs files on my computer they have a last modified date of May, which may or may not mean anything. The date I wrote out the timeline of Reich-5 is in August, so counting August, we are about to move into our fifth month of toying around with the idea of possibly maybe doing a GURPS campaign. I know we all agreed it would be a while before we got this all together, but we haven't even tried out a mock battle and tomorrow is the first time Eric and I are really going to sit down and work on some stuff for a mock battle. We're a weee bit shy of moving into half a year here guys and I'm starting to get bored.

I'm not trying to be an ass or mean, and if I'm coming off that way I apologize to any friends that are readers that are reading this. I'm four scenarios deep in DnD, plus two playtest games with everyone, and I've converted my campaign to GURPS. I'm not saying that I am more awesome than everyone else, believe me, I have my shortcomings in this department and they are legion (Eric and Jeremy and Dan can wholeheartedly attest to that). I'm just saying that either we are going to do this or not and its time to shit or get off the pot. Either we want to play GURPS and make time to do so, or we admit defeat.

Music: Chylde of Fire - Witchcraft
Music: Sorrow Evoker - Witchcraft
Music: You Bury Your Head - Witchcraft
Music: I Wanna Be Sedated - The Ramones
Music: Evil Is - Early Man
Music: War Eagle - Early Man
Music: Billy Jean - Michael Jackson.

2 comments:

  1. Aww, don't worry Clint! From what I've read GURPS sounds like a pretty robust system. Depending on the commitment of everyone else to purchasing new books, I would have no problem also purchasing a player's guide for GURPS if that is the direction you end-up wanting to go.

    I'm in! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. There won't be any switching systems any time soon Jeph, I'll be sticking with 4th Edition DnD till we finish the current campaign, Eric is just going to run a GURPS campaign on the side. If you'd like to join us, you are more than welcome and can probably borrow a book until you decide whether or not you think it is a slick system worthy of purchase.

    ReplyDelete