Sunday, November 15, 2009

DnD Fest Continuation

So, Bahamut and Mystra are dead, what the fuck is up with 4th Edition offing everything? Seriously, big names are dropping like flies. How long will it be before the Lady of Pain gets her metal face melted off and her city taken over by some upstart little bitch?

I am referring to the Scales of War and Spellplauge. The first is a campaign series in Dungeon Magazine, and the second is an event that bridges 3.X Forgotten Realms and 4.0 Forgotten Realms together. There's some wild and wacky stuff in there and it makes me interested to see what they do to Dark Sun. Dark Sun is already a bit off from the High Fantasy depicted in the core books, so I'm not sure what more they can do to mess it up. I'm sure they'll do something stupid like add in dragontits and gnomes, despite the gnomish race having been sacrificed so that a dragon could rise to power. I'm interested in seeing the ruined wreckage of a campaign world I always thought was almost as cool as Planescape.

Last night, or maybe the night previous to that, I came up with the conclusion of my current campaign. It meets all the criteria given to me by the group: Jeremy gets his heist at some point, John will get his steam rifle, and the group will get involved in a rebellion. Between now and the final scenario they will fight for freedom, against oppression, and have a choice to make that alters the face of The Known World forever. Now I just have to drop enough hints so that when the choice is upon them, they can make an informed decision. I'm working on the fourth scenario, almost done, I have the general outline of the fifth in my head and it is coalescing into a more solid shape as we speak, the six will be Jeremy's heist and I have a few ideas for that as well (hint: it will be combat light). I fully expect to be able to get five to ten scenarios out of the plot before reaching its final conclusion. Most of the final scenarios will be based out of Hell with the group working for or against various organizations within the city. Will they side with the law and bring a stop to the rebellion? Will they join the rebellion? Or will they side with Cenn's reavers and start murdering the rulers of Hell? Or will they go another route and work strictly for personal gain and the highest bidder and only reach this final scenario because they're in the wrong place at the wrong time?

The difficulty will be for me to try and get them to understand where events are going and what part they'll play without beating them over the head with it. Sometimes I see things differently than they do and come at them with information too subtly because I don't want a big glowing sign over every little thing they should pay attention to. We'll see how it goes. Who knows, they may throw a wrench in my plans and force me to abandon this plot line.

Its good to have a campaign outline.

Music: Death is the Answer - Early Man

No comments:

Post a Comment