Monday, September 7, 2009

Weaknesses and the Bursting of Balloons (or Perhaps Dirigibles, But Not Zeppelins)

So, I swore I was going to cut back on Inconsistencies Continued and work more on my revisions to The Last Blade. However, on my lunch at work I took about twenty minutes to write out a thousand words of Inconsistencies, which basically means I shouldn't spend any time whatsoever on it this week since I've set the goal of about a thousand words per "episode." I'll probably be at two thousand words by next Monday. I get side tracked too easily, a new idea pops into my head and takes root and whatever I've been working on slowly gets less and less time devoted to it. My hobbies and writing kind of move in cycles I guess. Like right now I'm all geeked up about our GURPS setting so I'm in a kind of sci-fi mood, so my sci-fi writing is getting the majority of my time and my high fantasy (sort of) stuff is getting sidelined. With the release of Space Hulk and my playing of it this upcoming weekend (hopefully), I'll very likely be shifting back into heavy painting mode and light everything else mode. I'm sort of in a DnD/GURPS and video games mood right now, but the video game interest is waning so it feels like there is a shift coming. Hopefully we'll be able to game soon and I'll re-kindle my DnD love, I have been a poor DM and haven't worked on the Kusseth scenario in about two months. Plus, I need to alter the on-the-way-to-Kusseth scenario because an NPC has an interaction with Josh's character, who will no longer present. But Dan I guess is kind of interested in my campaign, even though he doesn't like high fantasy. Don't get me wrong, the world is a steampunk world, but the guys are a group of high fantasy type characters with the only thing making them not fantasy being two rifles.

Eric's character is a steampunk character, except he's not and has to come up with everything on the fly and figure out how to play it and whatnot. Its lame and clunky. I was really rather stupid for trying to hammer steampunk into DnD. DnD only works for high fantasy, nothing else. I can add in weapons, but the nature of firearms and how I envision them makes them overpowered in DnD and any steampunk gear has to be fit into the magic item template, so its not really anything other than magic by another name. I might as well have Eric play a wizard and say he's a master of chemistry. It would work, but everyone would know he was a wizard. You can only suspend disbelief so much before you begin to choke on it and finally throw your mental hands up in the air and said "this is ridiculous."

Look, I'll be honest with you. I secretly want DnD to fail. I want Jeff to be like "I just don't have time man, I'm sorry." and I want John to just not care anymore. Then I can fullfill my secret dream of bringing GURPS to Kusseth and having them mate and produce offspring, its a paper-based evolutionary process that will result in all of my dreams reaching fruition. Eric can take like thirty levels of the Gizmo advantage and buy levels of Mechanic or Electrcian, my undead robots can have stuff like Immunity To Metabolic Hazards and Numb and Jeremy can take levels of Holdout and Lockpicking, etc. Traith Harris can take the five point disadvantage of being addicted to tobacco and the Cannot Float quirk netting him six points to spend on Criminology or the Citytongue (Accented) language. Then I can run a truly steampunk campaign setting with Dan and Eric and Jeremy Laura and then Jeff can borrow a book and see if he likes it. There can be steam titans like I always dreamed and rules for steampowered armor that aren't +2 plate mail with a +4 bonus to strength. There can be DAMAGE REDUCTION like I've always dreamed and pined in the night for! Do you here me? Damage Reduction. Its lovely. Thinking about my setting in 4th Edition makes me sad. Thinking about my setting in GURPS makes me as happy as when I was first sitting down to hammer out the background information and how the Comic Engines affected the psionics and magic of the denizens of the world.

Whatever, we'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment