Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Feasibility

When I first introduced Josh and Jeff to DnD I told them that we didn't need the dice or the rules or anything, all we needed was each other and we could role play that way. I was just now thinking of that and what it would be like to run a scenario without the rules. How would that work? I mean, does saying you do something mean you do something? Can another person just say, "No this happens." and then they have decided how things go? Do we go in a ring during encounters, each person having a say and overwriting the person before them? There needs to be some mechanic for who can say what and what overwrites what. So I thought perhaps everyone gets a hand of cards and it kind of plays like War. The guys are...we'll go with a cliche. The guys are fighting orcs, John says, "I take aim and shoot at the orc, aiming for his throat." then he lays down a ten of hearts. I look at my cards, look at the imaginary battlefield in my head and who is doing what and say, "The orc is engaged in a desperate melee with D'Alton, but he catches sight of you out of the corner of his eye and tries to keep moving and jumping around to throw off your aim." and I lay down a jack of clubs, my card is higher than his so the orc lives to pester D'Alton for another round. John can either let it go or say something like, "My guy is an expert shot and he factored in the bobbing and weaving of the orc." then he lays down an ace of diamonds. I grin and say, "Your shot is a little high and blows out its skull, splattering D'Alton with orc brains."

That might be interesting to try, might need more than one deck of cards though, because I kind of see a seven card hand, draw a new card after laying one down, when the draw pile is gone, shuffle the used cards back into it. Plus, the DM would need more cards because in most situations he controls more guys. Or maybe I just get a larger hand during battles.

...Did I just create a game?

An Hour Later: Evidently I am because its growing more and more complex in my head. For instance: Now Vyanth and Sereth characters add a +1 to their cards when they lay them down for issues related to agility and coordination. So a ten becomes a jack when they are dodging or balancing or using a bow.

No comments:

Post a Comment