Tuesday, June 30, 2009

It's About Damn Time...

Iron Warrior number seven is done. He did not turn out ideally. He looks ok, I just ran into some problems. I have no problem with chainsword and bolt pistol arms. They are simple, adjust to get angle you want and glue to your heart's content. Bolter/flamer/meltagun type arms are a bit different. I like to match arms, so I have to find two spike/skull/etc arms, one trigger hand and one cradling the bolter hand. The difficulty is that you have four points to glue, the arms to the shoulders, the hand to the barrel of the bolter, and the other hand to the grip part of the bolter. I find it difficult to arrange this with just glue, so I use poster tack to hold the mess of hands to bolter together till I can get glue to dry on the shoulders. Then I remove the bolter and tack and dab on some glue and replace the bolter. I had some trouble this time and had to re-glue the grip hand to the bolter a few times and this left a bit of a mess of dried glue between bolter and grip hand. Not pretty, but not really noticeable unless you get up close. The next problem was the head. I've always like the chaos space marine head in question, but it does not look good on the Iron Warriors metal chest pieces. Once I get the army built up enough, this guy will probably be one I strip and rebuild. I also found out Iyaden Darksun is too dark a yellow for my hazard stripes. Oh well, it is a learning process.

Seven Iron Warriors down, three more to go. I have the icon bearer, the flamer guy, and the aspiring champion. I just have to figure out how my scorched barrel mix went when I used it on the meltagun guy, who I think is pretty slick looking. I used a pistol arm but hacked off the pistol portion and put a meltagun in its place. The scorched barrel turned out pretty well, as did the helmet, which is another one I really like. Most chaos space marine helmets look pretty awesome. I cannot stand their goofy topknot ones, the half-helm and topknot ones are just plain dumb looking to me.

Once I get these guys done I intend on going back to my Lamenters and finishing up the squad with a flamer, missile launcher, and sergeant. Then back to more Iron Warriors, hopefully with some bionics and whatnot. Mmmm, bionics are delicious. I wasn't planning on it, but I think I may end up stripping my chaos terminators and playing around with them to see if I can come up with a decent obliterator counts as. Terminators are definitely bulky enough to be oblits and they lack the "I am taking an enormous warp fueled shit" look.

I've got six 40kradio podcasts on my laptop here, I think I might listen to one or two this week. They're usually entertaining and kind of serve to get me juiced up a bit about the hobby, so it might be nice. It also looks like they'll be (or already are) going over the chaos space marine codex, which should produce some handy tips and tricks for me.

At the end of this month I'll have saved a hundred bucks up since the last time I internet ordered 40k stuff. I think I'm going to at the very least get a loyalist techmarine, some Iron Warrior conversion bitz, another Iron Warriors warsmith (good model, and I want to monkey with it a bit to make it into another aspiring champion for a different squad than the one I'm working on now), and a hobby drill. I have a little pinning drill, but it only fits two drill bits of the dozen or so I have because it only has two size option for fitting bits into it. The one bit that came with it that I still have is also a bit rusty and bent from drilling out a barrel on a metal gun. The GW hobby drill looks like it can be loosened and tightened to accommodate different sized bits, and it has a nice looking handle so it seems like it will be a decent tool to have.

Work got rid of the heavy metal drug and IV boxes they use and I heard they'll be giving them away, so I might try to snag one and see if it would be a good place to stash all my hobby tool type stuff in. They supposedly have a tray that sits in them, so there should be ample room in it for the tools and such that I have collected, and maybe a bit more for some paint pots and bottles I have just sitting out. If that works out I can clean out the tray on my tackle box I have my tools in now and use that to separate my bitz, which would be nice because I think I only have like one tactical squad's worth of loyalist marine bitz and if I'm going to do 1500 points of Lamenters, it seems like I might need a wee bit more room for the bitz.

Someday I want to do ork and imperial guard armies, so ample room in my bitz box will be a good thing for future projects. Although, by the time I get around to those armies Eric will have finally admitted he has no intention of doing a full army, Shawn will have started a brewery, and Tony will have died in some manner of BBQ sauce related disaster. With them dead I'll have no one to play with so I'll have four armies in my basement and be playing against myself. Or I'll have to make new friends.

Because I can: Awesomesauce, robust, turgid...zebra cum.

Music: 1, 2, 3, 4 Guitars - The Blood Brothers

No comments:

Post a Comment