Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Advent of the Strike-ocalypse

So far the votes indicate that there will be at least three strikers in my campaign and one leader. It also looks like Josh will be some form of striker as well as he seems to gravitate towards classes that embody that role. Jason will likely be either a Fighter or Rogue, which means defender or striker. Shawn, when he is able to make it, will be a Bugbear Ranger, which is a striker. So, if things go the way of weirdness, we're looking at six strikers and a leader, plus whatever my NPC that they pick up is (a lot of them are strikers and defenders), plus Fred and whatever his wife Martel (sp?) wants to be, if they join us on a regular basis.

What the fuck?

I mean, I find myself gravitating towards the striker role myself, but man is that a lot of extra damage mechanics in one room. Solos and brutes and soldiers are built with a lot of hit points, but I think this make up of party is ideally suited to speedy ass combats. If the group ends up this way I think I'll start tracking their damage per round output, just to get a picture of how much pure hurt they can bring to the table. Of course most of these classes deal purely physical damage and a wall of AC or resistance should seriously impact their performance. The lack of any controller is somewhat worrisome because strikers are typically lightly armored and minions would be hard to manage without taking some hits. Minions die upon being hit, but they still do decent damage and still have decent defenses, without a controller to manage a herd of them at a time it removes the safety buffer and forces the lightly armored strikers to stand on the front line with the wall-like defenders. Strikers are primarily mobile or at range characters, not really expecting to go toe-to-toe with multiple foes for multiple rounds. I think if things do go in this direction the party can expect to taste an amount of hurt similar to that which they put out. Some people may want to experiment with multi-classing into leader or controller roles. We'll see.

Just some random thoughts for this post I guess, and seeing as how I am inexperienced with 4th Edition, these thoughts and concerns could be way off the mark. All will be revealed this weekend I guess.

My next post should be rather interesting if you have any interest at all in my stories, this assumes that I finish it and post it next, which may not happen. Pay attention to the next few posts I guess.

Steampunk Device of Post: Tension Bound Load Jettison Device. It is a system of straps and pulleys that has a rip cord that blows stuff like your backpack and pouches and such off of you so that you can quickly reduce your load to free up your limbs and body for combat (they can't all be winners ::shrug::).

Music: Store Bought Bones - The Raconteurs

No comments:

Post a Comment