Sunday, July 5, 2009

Progress (OMEGA Condition Downgraded to EPSILON)

To be honest, I just really like writing Greek letter/words out in all capitals.

Moving along. I have had a degree of success with my retconning project. I think I have settled on the name "The Nel" as a replacement for "The Fey." It is odd enough to sound definitely foreign and it keeps the one syllable three-letter word look that Fey had. Free writing is definitely the way to go with this project, I was focusing on stuff like "The Timeless" and "The Eternal" and playing the synonym game for the past few days and finally I just started ramming consonants together and I just typed out en ee el and I looked at it for a minute and went, "Huh." and kind of decided I liked it and that my creatures would forevermore be known as the Nel. In the internal logic of the universe the proper name of each Court will end in Nel because the names of the Courts will basically mean "Court of Blah Blah Blah Nel." I dunno what it is, but the name really sticks to something in my brain, so Nel it is.

Next up, I think I have "Cromm's" name down. How does everyone (or no one) feel about Keroen Skathos? I think the Keroen part is finalized, it has that hard kay sound like Cromm that I like, as does Skathos. Skathos may change though, depending on whether or not anything else nifty sounding pops into my skull.

Oberon = Aubernach (still toying around with this one, the Auber part is pretty certain though)
Death = Nostathon
Seelie Court = Aubernel
Sluagh = Sokarnel
Shadow Court = Sarownel

So that's my progress on the names so far. Its not terribly much, but as certain things become finalized everything will begin to fall into place. I tend to work that way, I start slow but begin to pick up speed as I write and finalize and refine ideas.

I'm starting to get some good ideas for the mechanics of the Nel in game terms as well. The danger with this is that I might start to pine to play them. I have a history of doing that in the past. We'll be mid-campaign and I see or read something and get and idea and kind of start work on it on the side of what I'm doing for the current campaign. A few scenarios will pass,and by that time I'm totally about the side campaign ideas and what I'm working on with them and decide we're going to stop the current campaign and switch to the new one. It is annoying for the guys and just as annoying for me. I'm thinking that because I like this current campaign world so much I won't have that problem this time.

What would be neat is if Eric would shut his campaign down (which we've only done like half a scenario in) and help me work on the Nel and then run it. I may have to mention that idea to him and the group to see how everyone feels about it. Ah well, we'll see.

Music: Lament for the Aurochs - The Sword

No comments:

Post a Comment